Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Clark Handicap Entries: Shackleford looks to rebound

2011 Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Shackleford will look to end his career on a winning note when he takes on nine rivals in the $400,000 Clark Handicap (gr. I) on Friday at Churchill Downs.

Trained by Dale Romans, the four-year-old son of Forestry has had a wonderful career, winning the Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I) and Churchill Downs Stakes (gr. II) in addition to his Preakness victory. He has also placed in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I), Haskell Invitational (gr. I), Carter Handicap (gr. I), Florida Derby (gr. I), Kelso Handicap (gr. II), and Indiana Derby (gr. II).

His career finale was expected to come in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) earlier this month, but a poor start compromised his chances there, and Shackleford wound up finishing seventh. It was then decided to give him one final opportunity to go out on a win.

His primary opposition is expected to come from Pool Play, winner of the 2011 Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) here at Churchill; Cease, runner-up to Pool Play in the Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) last month; Mission Impazible, who finished second in this race last year; and Lunar Victory, a New York-bred that has won six of his last seven starts.

Super Derby (gr. II) winner Bourbon Courage, Florida Derby (gr. I) winner Take Charge Indy, Travers Stakes (gr. I) third-place finisher Fast Falcon, Ontario Derby (gr. III) winner Stealcase, and 2009 Queen's Plate Stakes winner Eye of the Leopard complete the field.

Post Positions:
1 Pool Play
2 Eye of the Leopard
3 Shackleford
4 Bourbon Courage
5 Cease
6 Take Charge Indy
7 Fast Falcon
8 Stealcase
9 Mission Impazible
10 Lunar Victory

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment