Tuesday, March 02, 2010

THE TWENTY, as of March 2nd, 2010

1. DUBLIN Afleet Alex - Classy Mirage, by Storm Bird D. Wayne Lukas
I'm hoping that he goes in the Rebel Stakes on March 13th. I think he needs two more races before the Kentucky Derby to get him ready. He has lots of talent and I'm sure that D. Wayne Lukas will do everything right.
2. LOOKIN AT LUCKY Smart Strike - Private Feeling, by Belong to Me Bob Baffert
I can't wait for his next start, which will likely be in the San Felipe less than two weeks from now. There's still the question of whether or not he can handle dirt, but I think that he may improve on it.
3. SUPER SAVER Maria's Mon - Super Charger, by A.P. Indy Todd Pletcher
Sounds like he will start in the Rebel Stakes on March 13th. A meeting with Dublin would be great. If he does start, he will not be ridden by regular rider Calvin Borel, as Borel will likely be in Louisiana riding Rachel Alexandra in the New Orleans Ladies Stakes that day.
4 CARACORTADO Cat Dreams - Mons Venus, by Maria's Mon Michael Machowsky
The more I look at him, the better I like him. He has not lost yet, and I think that he is capable of taking down Lookin at Lucky in the San Felipe under the right conditions. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.
5. ESKENDEREYA Giant's Causeway - Alderbaran Light, by Seattle Slew Todd Pletcher
I can't get over his pedigree, it appears to be loaded with stamina. Still, it's possible that he has peaked too early. Will he repeat that effort in his next start? Until he does, I can't see putting him on the top of my twenty.
6. RULE Roman Ruler - Personal Flag, by Rockcide Todd Pletcher
I'm still concerned about his ability to get the distance of the Triple Crown races. It's obvious that he has class, but can he carry his speed? Perhaps the Louisiana Derby could be a good spot for him.
7. WILLIAM'S KITTEN Kitten's Joy - Blush, by Menifee Michael J. Maker
I'm greatly anticipating his next start. I feel confident that he is a high class colt who will do great things. I can see the headlines now: "William's Kitten denies _____ the Triple Crown!" I think he has the ability.
8. BUDDY'S SAINT Saint Liam - Tuzia, by Blushing John Bruce Levine
If his next start is in the Wood Memorial, he's going to have to be a true monster to win the Kentucky Derby. If Bruce Levine can get him to win the Kentucky Derby off of the Fountain of Youth and the Wood Memorial, then he is an incredible trainer.
9. RON THE GREEK Full Mandate - Flambe, by Fortunate Prospect Thomas M. Amoss
When he has a solid pace to chase, it appears that he can muster a great rally. If he makes it to the Kentucky Derby, and if he gets the pace that Giacomo did in 2005, I think that he can get there.
10 DAVE IN DIXIE Dixie Union - Risk, by Wavering Monarch John W. Sadler
I can't wait to see him race again, as he should only improve off of his last race. His late run appears to be powerful, and he should love more distance.
11. BLIND LUCK Pollard's Mision - Lucky One, by Best of Luck Jerry Hollendorfer
I can't wait to see her race again. Nothing went her way in the Las Virgenes but she still got it done, if only by a nose. Is the Santa Anita Derby in her future? I wouldn't rule her out of the Triple Crown yet.
12. CONNEMARA Giant's Causeway - Satin Sunrise, by Mr. Leader Todd Pletcher
I'm still trying to figure out where his next race will be. The Santa Anita Derby seems to be a possibility, but I think that the Lane's End Stakes is a more likely target. The date is perfect, and it might be a better place to get the experience that I think he still needs.
13. ODYSSEUS Malibu Moon - Persimmon Hill, by Conquistador Cielo Thomas Albertrani
I just can't get over this colt's name. This is the kind of name that goes with the rest of the Triple Crown winners. I would have liked to have seen Big Brown win the Triple Crown two years ago, but Assault, Whirlaway, Big Brown? Odysseus is the kind of name you want to see in the history books.
14. CONVEYANCE Indian Charlie - Emptythetill, by Holy Bull Bob Baffert
Now that his connections intend to prep him for the Triple Crown in the United States rather than Dubai, I'm going to move him up a few spots. Not that I have anything against Dubai, (I greatly enjoy the races out there) but no Kentucky Derby winner has ever come from Dubai. Staying on dirt will help him greatly.
15. INTERACTIF Broken Vow - Broad Pennant, by Broad Brush Todd Pletcher
I hope that he runs in the Santa Anita Derby this April. Not only would it tell us if he can handle different surfaces, but it would be the ultimate class test. We would be able to see with our own eyes if he compares to Lookin at Lucky and Caracortado.
16. UPTOWNCHARLYBROWN Limehouse - La Iluminada, by Langfuhr Alan S. Seewald
I think that he raced rather greenly in the Sam F. Davis and will shown drastic improvement in his next start. I think that the Illinois Derby would be a good final Triple Crown prep for him.
17. NOBLE'S PROMISE Cuvee - The Devil's Trick, by Clever Trick Kenneth G. McPeek
If he goes to the Rebel Stakes, it's going to be a tough first start back. With Super Saver, and possibly Dublin, planning to run against him, it will be a great class test. We'll find out if he truly belongs with the best of his crop.
18. VALE OF YORK Invincible Spirit - Red Vale, by Halling Saeed bin Suroor
He has been entered to run on March 4th in Dubai, in a race that is about the same distance as the Preakness Stakes. Can you imagine a three year old getting ready for the Triple Crown in a race that long? If he wins, I'm going to be watching him very closely.
19. JACKSON BEND Hear No Evil - Sexy Stockings, by Tabasco Cat Nick Zito
I'm still concerned about his stamina, but he is obviously a very good miler, and I would not be surprised at all if he was to win this year's Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile. But I don't think he is going to go a mile and a quarter.
20. DROSSELMEYER Distorted Humor - Golden Ballet, by Moscow Ballet William I. Mott
I can't wait to see him in the longer races. I still question his true ability, but he should get better at a mile and a quarter. I would love to see him in the Florida Derby, as that would answer all questions as to how good he is.

OTHER NOTABLE HORSES

AFLEET AGAIN I hope he runs in the Gotham. Perhaps he'll prove himself to be top class.
AFLEET EXPRESS I was disappointed by his last race, but I still think he needs more distance.
AIKENITE I wonder where he'll go next? Is the Blue Grass Stakes in his future?
A LITTLE WARM Appears to be a sprinter.
AMERICAN LION Perhaps he'll improve off of the Robert B. Lewis.
BACKTALK Won despite a rough trip in the Sportsman's Paradise Stakes.
BIM BAM He may not be Triple Crown caliber, but he has defeated Interactif.
CONCORD POINT Don't count him out yet.
COYOTE LEGEND Jim's Orbit was visually impressive. He could surprise everyone and make the Derby.
D’FUNNYBONE Nice win in the Hutcheson, but he seems to be a sprinter.
DISCREETLY MINE Nice win in the Risen Star, but was all out after slow fractions.
DIXIE COMMANDER Nice win in the Turf Paradise Derby.
DOUBLES PARTNER Not sure how he's going to get the graded earnings in time.
EIGHTYFIVEANDAFIFTY I think he's off the Triple Crown Trail, but until I hear for sure, he'll stay right here.
FAST ALEX Nice win at Fair Grounds on March 1st. Might be a nice colt.
FLY BY PHIL I'm not sure where he is right now.
FLY DOWN Nice allowance win.
GENERAL MAXIMUS Failed in an allowance race at Gulfstream Park last Saturday. Appears to have little stamina.
HOMEBOYKRIS Finished second behind Radiohead in an allowance race at Gulfstream Park.
HOTEP I don't think he's quite ready for the Triple Crown.
KERA’S KITTEN Finished last in the John Battaglia after a horrible traffic incident. Not sure what to think now.
LENTENOR Will he go for glory in the Florida Derby?
LETSGETITONMON Didn't fire in the Risen Star.
LAUS DEO Would not be surprised to see him in the Gotham.
MAKE MUSIC FOR ME I'm just wondering where he'll show up next.
MAXIMUS RULER He looks like a miler.
MINER'S RESERVE Nice maiden win.
MISSION IMPAZIBLE I think he ran a better race in the Southwest than it first appeared.
NEXTDOORNEIGHBOR Could be anything. The Sham Stakes will tell more about him.
NORTHERN GIANT Ran a good race in the Risen Star, but he was sitting just off of a very slow pace.
OUTLAW MAN I assume he'll still run in the Sham Stakes.
PEPPI KNOWS Nice win in the Whirlaway Stakes, will he run in the Gotham?
PULSION Didn't fire in the Fountain of Youth.
RADIOHEAD Nice win in a one mile allowance race.
SASSY IMAGE Didn't fire in the Davona Dale, and wasn't nominated to Triple Crown.
SIDNEY'S CANDY Will he run in the Gotham?
SOARING EMPIRE Nice allowance win.
STAY PUT Can't wait for his next start.
STORMING SAINT Finished second in the Borderland Derby but was awarded the win by the stewards. Maybe he'll run in the Sunland Derby.
TEMPTED TO TAPIT Ran a nice race in the Risen Star, but needs more experience.
THE PROGRAM The Sham Stakes got canceled, but I assume he'll still run.
TIZ CHROME He appears to be a sprinter, but he'll get another shot at distance in the Gotham.
WILDCAT FRANKIE Ran a poor race in the Hutcheson Stakes.

Is Dryfly off the Derby trail?

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment