Monday, February 01, 2010

TRIPLE CROWN COUNTDOWN ---- February 1st, 2010

Two days ago, I posted my selections for January 30th and 31st. Now, it is the first day of February, and the Triple Crown Trail seems just a little bit clearer now, a result of several interesting races over those two days.

To start off, I'll wrap the races I discussed in my last post, concerning a couple of allowance races, a grade II stakes, and one maiden race. I shall start with the race I was looking forward to the most, and how it ended up being not quite the race I expected it to be.

The race was an allowance race on Sunday at Gulfstream Park. My selection was Pulsion, a son of Include who was using the race to prep for the Fountain of Youth Stakes. Another horse I was watching closely was Drosselmeyer, a son of Distorted Humor who broke his maiden by six lengths going one mile at Churchill Downs. Either one had an excellent chance of winning.
Things changed on the day of the race, however. Pulsion was scratched for reasons I do not know. Hopefully, there is nothing seriously wrong with him. The biggest problem is that this interrupts his schedule, and will leave him without a prep for the Fountain of Youth, unless he was to be entered in a race for tomorrow or something like that, which seems highly unlikely. If so, it will be extremely hard to figure out how he compares with Buddy's Saint and some of the other Florida colts should they meet in the Fountain of Youth.

Now, back to the allowance race. With Pulsion scratched, Drosselmeyer was sent off as the heavy favorite. Jet Settin Papa was the early leader, and he cut out fast fractions before fading to finish last. Best Actor and No Shenanigans raced close to the pace, while Drosselmeyer and Prince Will I Am raced towards the rear. Moving up the backstretch Drosselmeyer moved up the fence to snatch fourth place as Jet Settin Papa retreated. Prince Will I Am was still far back. Turning for home, Drosselmeyer swung three wide and moved into the lead, as Prince Will I Am came from the rear. At the finish, it was Drosselmeyer by two, Prince Will I Am second, and Best Actor third. And so Drosselmeyer gets the satisfaction of winning his prep for the Fountain of Youth, and I get the satisfaction of picking the winner of the race.

Race #2 on my last post was another allowance race at Gulfstream Park, this one being on Saturday. My selection was Afleet Express, with General Maximus to finish second, and Family Holiday to run third. The results of this race: General Maximus first, Afleet Express second, and Family Holiday third. Close, but not quite what I'd hoped. It appears as though Afleet Express needs a bit more distance, and I look forward to seeing him run at a mile.

Race #3 was a maiden race at Gulfstream Park. I knew nothing about the field and glancing over the entries I selected The Director to win. However, he finished second; I know none of the details.

Race #4 was by far the most pleasing race of the day, to me anyway. It was a seven furlong, grade II stakes race at Gulfstream Park. Heavily favored was She Be Wild, winner of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies last year. As well as this, she was declared Champion 2yo Filly of 2009, so her credentials were good. However, as I mentioned two days ago, the race seemed like it was filled with the possibility of upset. I just didn't think that She Be Wild was going to run her race, although I wasn't sure why. So, after thoroughly examining the horses in the race, I selected Bickersons to win. So imagine my excitement when I saw the results of the race and realized that Bickersons had won by seven lengths at odds of 9-1! She Be Wild finished fifth, so I was right about her not being ready to win. According to her jockey, She Be Wild handled the dirt fine, but the distance was too short for her. It looked to me as though She Be Wild was tiring at the finish, so I'm still trying to figure that one out. Perhaps She Be Wild was too close to the pace? It didn't seem that way, but who knows. At any rate, Bickersons won, and I am pleased.
A race I did not discuss was the WEBN Stakes at Turfway Park, and the reason for this is that I was only vaguely aware that it was being run. The winner of the race was Kera's Kitten, sent off at 6-1. He won in wire-to-wire fashion by 2 1/2 lengths over Slewzoom and Lucky Chuck. Now, it seems that the John Battaglia Memorial Stakes could be a good spot for Kera's Kitten to head next, followed by the Lane's End Stakes as a final prep before the Triple Crown, should his connections decide to continue along the Triple Crown Trail with him.

In other Triple Crown news. . .

Hopeful Stakes winner Dublin is still down at Oaklawn Park, and his breathing problem has been corrected. The Southwest Stakes will be his next race, followed by the Rebel Stakes and the Arkansas Derby, should all go well. I am very excited, since I am very excited about this colt and did not forget him, even when he turned in poor efforts in the Champagne and the Iroquis. I'm confident that we'll see the real Dublin return very shortly.

Workouts over the past two days are as follows. . .

Super Saver, on January 31st, worked four furlongs in :48 4/5 handily at Palm Meadows.
Rule, on January 31st, worked a five furlongs in 1:01 4/5 handily at Palm Meadows.
Eskendereya, on January 31st, breezed five furlongs in 1:02 2/5 at Palm Meadows.
Interactif, on January 31st, breezed five furlongs in 1:03 2/5 at Palm Meadows.
Discreetly Mine, on January 31st, worked five furlongs in :59 1/5 handily at Palm Meadows.
Make Music for Me, on January 31st, worked five furlongs in 1:01 somewhere, probably Hollywood Park.
Crisp, on January 31st, worked six furlongs in 1:13 4/5 somewhere, probably Hollywood Park.
La Nez, on January 31st, worked five furlongs in :59 3/5 somewhere, probably Santa Anita.
Caracortado, on January 31st, worked six furlongs in 1:12 2/5 somewhere, probably Santa Anita.
Ranger Heartly, on January 31st, worked five furlongs in :59 somewhere, probably Santa Anita.
Franny Freud, on January 31st, worked four furlongs in :48 2/5 somewhere, probably Santa Anita.
Domonation, on January 31st, worked five furlongs in 1:01 somewhere, probably Santa Anita.
Letsgetitonmon, on February 1st, breezed four furlongs in :51 4/5 at Fair Grounds.
Stay Put, on February 1st, breezed five furlongs in 1:01 at Fair Grounds.
Sidney's Candy, on February 1st, worked six furlongs in 1:12 2/5 handily at Hollywood Park.
Tiz Chrome, on February 1st, worked five furlongs in :59 1/5 handily at Santa Anita.
American Lion, on Febraury 1st, worked five furlongs in 1:00 handily at Santa Anita.

posted by Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment