Friday, June 08, 2012

I'll Have Another Retired

I'll Have Another, who was on the verge of sweeping the elusive Triple Crown following victories in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I), has been retired from racing after devoloping tendonitis in his left front leg.

It is only the third time in history that a Derby/Preakness winner failed to start in the Belmont Stakes, the other two being Burgoo King in 1932 and Bold Venture in 1936.

The injury was first noticed yesterday as a mild filling in his leg, and while it did reduce overnight, it returned this morning following a routine gallop. The injury was diagnosed the beginning of tendonitis, and owner Paul Reddam announced the colt's retirement at a press conference this afternoon.

In addition to winning the Derby and the Preakness, I'll Have Another's other victories included the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II).
Trained by Doug O'Neill, the colt retired with five wins and a second from seven starts and earnings of $2,693,600.
-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment