Saturday, May 15, 2010

A PREAKNESS INTERVIEW WITH DAN J

Once again, Dan J has returned to my blog to answer some more of my questions. Today, we shall discuss the Preakness Stakes and get his thoughts on the runners, as well as his top three picks. Here we go!

Q: First off, we'll talk quickly about the Kentucky Derby. What did you think of the results?

A: I was a bit surprised that Super Saver was able to hang on for the win. All through the homestretch I kept expecting him to fade, but he never did. However, I wasn't surprised to see Ice Box coming at the end. Paddy O'Prado was a bit of a surprise as well.

Q: What do you think of Super Saver?

A: I think he's good--I think he has a good shot at winning today.

Q: The Preakness drew a tough field of twelve and none of them can be ignored. What do you think of the beaten Derby favorite Lookin at Lucky in this race?

A: I've always liked Lookin at Lucky, and I still do, but I just have a feeling he won't be winning today.

Q: Do you think that the jockey change will help?

A: I don't think that will make any significant difference.

Q: You liked Dublin for the Kentucky Derby. What do you think of him here?

A: I like him here. He was pretty wide for the whole Derby trip, and I think it cost him. The Preakness with its smaller field may just do the trick. However, he drew gate twelve. I'm hoping he can kind of drift back at the start and secure a spot closer inside.

Q: Paddy O'Prado, third in the Derby, is back for another try at Super Saver. He also has Kent Desormeaux, a top rider in Maryland for many years, on his back. What do you think of his chances?

A: I think this guy has a big chance at upsetting Super Saver. He was nearly second in the Derby.

Q: Two horses who are being mentioned a lot as potential spoilers are Schoolyard Dreams and Caracortado. What do you think of them?

A: I watched Schoolyard Dreams earlier in the year and liked him. I'm less impressed with Caracortado. But I don't think either of them will pull off the win.

Q: What do you think of Pleasant Prince, who will be making his fourth start in eight weeks?

A: He's an interesting horse, and I like his post position. We should keep an eye on him.

Q: Are there any longshots in here that you think can hit the board?

A: Jackson Bend.

Q: Finally, can you give us your Preakness trifecta?

A: 1. Super Saver. 2. Paddy O'Prado. 3. Dublin. But good luck to all the horses!

Thanks for the interview Dan J! In less the twenty-four hours, we will know if Super Saver has any chance at becoming racing's twelfth Triple Crown winner. We'll both be cheering for him!

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment