Wednesday, April 28, 2010

ANOTHER OPINION 2:

ANOTHER OPINION 2: WHAT ROSIE SEDGWICK THINKS OF THE TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL

With the Kentucky Derby less than three days away, I have decided to interview one more person to go along with Dan J's interview. So I have decided to talk to Rosie Sedgwick and get her opinions of the 2010 Triple Crown Trail.
Rosie has been following my blog for some time --- ever since it began. So here is the interview. The following are my questions, followed by her answers. Enjoy!


Q: What do you think of this year's crop overall?


A: This year's three year olds are more interesting, I think, than last year's. My particular favorites are Ice Box, Stately Victor, and Dublin. I guess I would say that this year's crop is very strong. It was so sad having three great horses --- Rule, Eskendereya, and Endorsement --- get scratched from the Derby.

Q: We haven't had a Triple Crown winner since 1978. Do you we will get one this year?

A: It's highly probable that we will. The horses, as I said above, are so powerful this year that there's almost no question as to whether they can pull off something spectacular. I am following the Derby Trail quite hopefully.

Q: What do you think of the current Derby favorite Lookin at Lucky?

A: Considering how he ran in the Santa Anita Derby, it's not very clear to me how this colt is going to run in the Kentucky Derby. I've always been fond of him, though, and I would definitely be on the "look"out for Lookin at Lucky during the race . . . !

Q: Do you think that Sidney's Candy is capable of winning the Derby?

A: Well, to be honest, I haven't really been thinking that much about Sidney's Candy. He's a great horse, and very capable of running a good race, I'm sure, but it's certainly going to be interesting to see how he runs among the other Derby runners.

Q: What do you think of the Blue Grass Stakes, the 2010 winner Stately Victor, and the runner up Paddy O'Prado?

A: I was very impressed with Paddy O'Prado's stunning performance at the Blue Grass Stakes, and I think that he could win the Derby without a lot of trouble. As for Stately Victor, I love him! He's such a fabulous horse; and because he's been working so well at Churchill Downs lately, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he won the Derby. Either of these horses have a fairly good shot at doing well.

Q: Are you concerned about the fact that Line of David, Super Saver, and Dublin crawled home in the Arkansas Derby?

A: I am a little, but perhaps Dublin will be able to pull off a better performance in the Kentucky Derby. I wouldn't give up on him at all . . . sometimes the quietest horses can surprise you. As for Line of David, I hadn't been considering him as a Derby contender until I saw the Arkansas. However, I don't believe that he will be able to win the race. He's good, but some others I've seen might be able to run a better race. And Super Saver---I like him quite a bit. I was surprised that he didn't do better in the Arkansas Derby, but, maybe it just wasn't his day. Like Dublin, I would definitely not exclude him from my top ten Derby picks. I'm not as sure about Line of David . . . We'll just have to wait and see.

Q: Any other three year olds who might just be capable of upsetting the Kentucky Derby?

A: Above all, Ice Box. I've heard a lot of great things about him lately (and his name is definitely a plus! It's so cute. :), and I would be more than satisfied if he won the Derby. Other than him, I don't think many others would be able to, except for Homeboykris---I think that he could upset the Kentucky Derby by a large margin, he's an incredible horse---and Mission Impazible. I am very impressed with Mission Impazible's workouts at Churchill Downs, and he sounds like a definite threat to many of the favorites.

Q: Do you think that Todd Pletcher will win his first Derby this year?

A: Mission Impazible might be able to pull off something huge this year, and so might Super Saver. I have a feeling that there's going to be an upset in this Kentucky Derby.

Q: Some have said that Lookin at Lucky doesn't have the stamina to go a mile and a quarter. What do you think?

A: As I said before, Lookin at Lucky could do anything. He's a powerful horse and I won't let anyone convince me otherwise. I think that he has enough stamina and more to win the Derby.

Q: What do you think of the filly Devil May Care running in the Derby?

A: I don't exactly know, but she looks promising.

Q: Last question. Who is your pick for the Kentucky Derby?

A: Stately Victor!

Thanks a lot, Rosie Sedgwick! We'll be interviewing you and Dan J again in a couple of days to get your final picks for the Kentucky Oaks, as well as your top five Derby horses. We'll also briefly discuss the La Troienne and the American Turf Stakes. It's going to be lots of fun!

2 days until Derby Day . . .

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment