Thursday, April 22, 2010

ANOTHER OPINION: WHAT DAN J THINKS OF THE TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL

Well, my blog has been up for about three months now. Through out those three months, I have talked a lot, given many opinions, and listed several of my picks. But with the Kentucky Derby only ten days away, I decided that my thoughts alone are not enough.
It is time for an interview with Dan J.
Dan J has been following my blog since it started. As a matter of fact, he has followed horse racing longer than I have. He is the one responsible for this blog, for he is the one who showed me how interesting horse racing is.
So I thought it would be cool if I interviewed him and got his thoughts on this year's Triple Crown Trail. The following are my questions, followed by his answers. Enjoy!

Q: What do you think of this year's crop overall?

A: Despite the many upsets in some of the final preps (Sidney's Candy, Stately Victor, Line of David), I think the overall field has shown itself to be a consistent one.

Q: Let's talk about the Derby Trial. Do you think it is a good idea to run one week before the Kentucky Derby and then show up in the big one?

A: I don't see a problem with it. This is the Derby, and everybody wants that chance at getting in, even if it's a long shot and possibly not the most conventional idea from a conditioning standpoint. However, the owners of horses trying to get in this way need to look carefully at their horses and make sure the horse is truly of Derby caliber.

Q: Do you think that Eightfiveinafifty is capable of winning the Kentucky Derby?

A: I doubt he can stretch out to a mile and a quarter.

Q: We haven't had a Triple Crown winner since 1978. Do you think we will get one this year?

A: Yes, I think this is the year. I can feel it. But having someone win the Triple Crown has advantages and drawbacks. For instance, it would be good for racing right during the time of the attempt and right after, but what will the feeling be next year? Just a "Oh, who needs to watch racing? They just had someone win the big thing. . ." Hopefully that wouldn't happen.

Q: What do you think of the current Derby favorite Eskendereya?

A: I think he may be over-rated. I don't think he can win the Derby. I've seen this exact pattern before, with Bellamy Road in 2005. He won the same race (Wood Memorial) in the same fashion (huge winning margin, running easy), and was talked about the same way ("It's the second coming of Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Spectacular Bid in one horse!") and came to the Derby and couldn't stay with the leaders in the homestretch. I can see the same thing happening to Eskendereya.

Q: Do you think that Sidney's Candy is capable of winning the Derby?

A: Absolutely. I have a lot of admiration for horses that win at Santa Anita before coming to the Derby.

Q: What do you think of the Blue Grass Stakes, the 2010 winner Stately Victor, and the runner up Paddy O'Prado?

A: With Keeneland, you never know. Keeneland gives you Street Sense, and it gives you Monba. But my gut feeling is that Stately Victor and Paddy O'Prado are good horses who should be watched carefully.


Q: Are you concerned about the fact that Line of David, Super Saver, and Dublin crawled home in the Arkansas Derby?


A: No. I think it's probably worse to run too fast in your final prep.

Q: Do you know of any three year olds who are not being talked about who might just be capable of upsetting the Kentucky Derby?

A: Ice Box---the Florida Derby has been good to Derby horses in recent years.

Q: Do you think that Todd Pletcher will win his first Derby this year?

A: I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think so.

Q: Some have said that Lookin at Lucky doesn't have the stamina to go a mile and a quarter. What do you think?

A: I think he can do it.


Q: I just received a news alert that Todd Pletcher is considering running his filly Devil May Care in the Kentucky Derby. What do you think of the decision and her chances?


A: If they're running her because she is truly deserving of a chance to run, then I think it's fine. But if they're just running her to fill in more slots and keep other horses out, then I don't like the idea at all. She should go ahead and run in the Oaks, unless they are really confident. So many horses run in the Derby just to do it and then disappear forever.

Q: Last question. Who is your pick for the Kentucky Derby?
A: DUBLIN!

Thanks a lot, Dan J! We'll be interviewing you again right before the Kentucky Derby and you can give us your thoughts on the post position draw and list your final selections. We'll also discuss the Kentucky Oaks and the American Turf Stakes as well. It's going to be a terrific weekend of racing.

10 days until the Kentucky Derby . . .

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment