Saturday, April 10, 2010

THE TWENTY, as of April 9th, 2010

1. DUBLIN Afleet Alex - Classy Mirage, by Storm Bird D. Wayne Lukas
I've decided to put him back on top for one reason only --- I think that D. Wayne Lukas is one of the greatest trainers in history and is going to have this colt ready for the Kentucky Derby. I am confident that this colt is going to run well tomorrow.
2. LOOKIN AT LUCKY Smart Strike - Private Feeling, by Belong to Me Bob Baffert
His final Kentucky Derby prep was a disaster, and I'm a little concerned that he will be afraid to run on the rail from now on. But it is obvious that he is very brave, and I just loved the way that he re-rallied and kept going to get third.
3. ESKENDEREYA Giant's Causeway - Alderbaran Light, by Seattle Slew Todd Pletcher
He ran the race I wanted to see him run, but I'm still not convinced that he is the next Secretariat. I'm still wondering how he will respond to the fast pace that will come in the Kentucky Derby.
4. ODYSSEUS Malibu Moon - Persimmon Hill, by Conquistador Cielo Thomas Albertrani
He wasn't flattered by Schoolyard Dream's fourth in the Wood Memorial, but I do think that he is much better than the latter. He doesn't have to win the Blue Grass, just run a nice race.
5. BLIND LUCK Pollard's Mision - Lucky One, by Best of Luck Jerry Hollendorfer
She comes home faster than just about anybody and I am positive that she is Triple Crown caliber. If she was to be entered in the Kentucky Derby, I might just have to make her my pick.
6. SIDNEY'S CANDY Candy Ride - Fair Exchange, by Storm Cat John W. Sadler
Not only did he wire the Santa Anita Derby, he did it impressively. All of a sudden, I start to wonder if he actually can get the Kentucky Derby distance. Obviously, he didn't have to go very fast early in last Saturday, but perhaps he'll get the same kind of luck that Spend a Buck did.
7. ENDORSEMENT Distorted Humor - Charmed Gift, by A.P. Indy Shannon Ritter
He is obviously very talented, but has yet to be thoroughly tested. Was the Sunland Derby a fluke? It's hard to say. All I know is that he mowed down a very classy colt with relative ease, turned in a fast time, and looks ready to keep improving.
8. ICE BOX Pulpit - Spice Island, by Tabasco Cat Nick Zito
There's something about this colt that bothers me. I'm not sure what it is, but I have the feeling that he is not going to run well in the Kentucky Derby. Something about him says to me that he just isn't going to do it.
9. AWESOME ACT Awesome Again - Houdini's Honey, by Mr. Prospector Jeremy Noseda
Nothing went his way in the Wood Memorial, but he still managed to get third, beaten only a head for second. I think that he is going to run huge in the Derby at impressive odds.
10. CARACORTADO Cat Dreams - Mons Venus, by Maria's Mon Michael Machowsky
As if Lookin at Lucky's trip in the Santa Anita Derby wasn't bad enough, I think that Caracortado's was even worse. He was following Lookin at Lucky when Lucky had his meeting with Who's Up, so Caracortado was forced to back up and circle the entire field. Then the runner up Setsuko took his running room, and when he finally did get running, it was too late. He ended up fourth. If he makes it to the Kentucky Derby, he will be underbet. I still like him.
11. NOBLE'S PROMISE Cuvee - The Devil's Trick, by Clever Trick Kenneth G. McPeek
He'll be well bet in the Arkansas Derby, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is sent off as the favorite. Still has to answer some stamina questions, but if he wins impressively tomorrow, he'll be one to watch in the Kentucky Derby.
12. SUPER SAVER Maria's Mon - Super Charger, by A.P. Indy Todd Pletcher
Drew the rail in the Arkansas Derby, but he is the morning line favorite. I think that he is going to have to go to the front tomorrow, but if he can hold off everybody else, he'll be one of the favorites in Kentucky.
13. SETSUKO
Closed really fast in the Santa Anita Derby, despite the slow fractions. I'm not convinced that he is going to improve on dirt, but it's obvious that he has class. Does he have the earnings to get to the Kentucky Derby? We'll see.
14. PLEASANT PRINCE Indy King - Archduchess, by Wesley Ward
Had a very sharp workout at Keeneland, so he probably deserves to be the morning line favorite for the Blue Grass. His sire never raced, but his pedigree says that he might have been able to go a distance.
15. MAKE MUSIC FOR ME
I think that he will be one of the favorites for the Blue Grass Stakes, and I would not be surprised to see him win. He's obviously very talented, and he looks ready to run a great race.
16. INTERACTIF Broken Vow - Broad Pennant, Broad Brush Todd Pletcher
This colt is going to present his case in the Blue Grass Stakes, but I just don't think that he is Triple Crown caliber. He would need to win very easily tomorrow to be one of the main contenders at Churchill.
17. MISSION IMPAZIBLE Unbridled's Song - La Pez, by Hold Your Peace Todd Pletcher
I wasn't very impressed with his Louisiana Derby, and I think that he is a few notches below the best, but who knows what he can do. He is by Unbridled's Song, whose foals seem to have some distance issues, but perhaps Mission Impazible is different.
18. AMERICAN LION Tiznow - Storm Tide, by Storm Cat Eoin Harty
He ran well to win the Illinois Derby, but I just don't think that he is going to go a mile and a quarter against the group he'll be facing. I'm sure that he will win his fair share of stakes races this summer, and may even be in contention for the Preakness, but he just doesn't look like a Derby horse.
19. JACKSON BEND Hear No Evil - Sexy Stockings, by Tabasco Cat Nick Zito
He actually ran a very good race in the Wood Memorial, and refused to let Awesome Act get past him. I respect Calvin Borel, especially when he is riding at Churchill Downs, and I believe that Calvin will get a great race out of this colt in the Derby.
20a. AIKENITE
I couldn't decide whether to put this colt or Backtalk in the number twenty spot, so I put them both on. I expect a huge effort from him in the Blue Grass Stakes, and I would not be surprised at all if he won. He doesn't look like a Triple Crown colt to me, but a big effort tomorrow could change my opinion.
20b. BACKTALK Smarty Jones - Apasionata Sonata, by Affirmed Thomas M. Amoss
I'm going to take a shot and leave this colt in my Top Twenty(one). Despite the fact that he was well beaten in the Illinois Derby, I think that he could improve if blinkers are added. Also, I think that his workout is what did him in. He already has enough earnings to get to the Kentucky Derby, so who knows? Maybe he'll pull a Mine That Bird!

WATCH VERY CLOSELY

ALPHIE'S BET Ran an okay race in the Santa Anita Derby. Graded earnings are a concern.
CODOY Heading to the Blue Grass.
CONNEMARA Will get another shot at graded earnings in the Lexington.
CONVEYANCE May lack the stamina.
COOL BULLET Very impressive in the Hansel Stakes.
DEAN'S KITTEN Impressive in the Lane's End.
D’FUNNYBONE May lack the stamina.
DISCREETLY MINE Not crying for distance.
DISTORTED DAVE Might have a shot if he wins the Lexington.
DROSSELMEYER Gets one last chance in the Lexington.
EIGHTYFIVEANDAFIFTY Impressive in the Bay Shore, will run in the Derby Trial, and possibly the Kentucky Derby.
HOMEBOYKRIS Will train up to the Kentucky Derby.
JACKSON BEND Nice second in the Wood Memorial, may have a shot in the Kentucky Derby if Calvin stays on him.
MENDIP Heard a rumor that he has been injured.
NORDIC TRUCE Three-for-three after Transylvania win.
NORTHERN GIANT Gets a final chance at graded earnings in the Arkansas Derby.
PULSION Set to run in the Arkansas Derby.
RON THE GREEK Graded earnings are a major concern.
RULE May lack the stamina.
SCHOOLYARD DREAMS Disappointing fourth in the Wood Memorial.
SKIPSHOT Fifth in the Santa Anita Derby, graded earnings are a big concern.
STAY PUT Nice in the Louisiana Derby, graded earnings are a concern.
TIZ THE ONE I don't know where he's heading. Perhaps the Lexington?
WILLIAM'S KITTEN Is he off the Triple Crown Trail?
YAWANNA TWIST Second in the Illinois Derby, graded earnings are a concern.

KEEP AN EYE ON

A LITTLE WARM I don't think that he has the stamina.
BULLS AND BEARS Perhaps the Preakness or Belmont.
BIM BAM Is he aiming for the Triple Crown?
CARDIFF GIANT Disappointing in the Santa Anita Derby.
COLIZEO I don't think he has the ability.
CONCORD POINT Where will he start next?
DAVE IN DIXIE Disappointing in the Illinois Derby.
DIXIE COMMANDER Out of opportunities.
EXHI Interesting win in the Rushaway, probably doesn't have the ability.
FIRST DUDE Back for the Blue Grass Stakes.
FLY DOWN Disappointing in the Florida Derby.
GAME ON DUDE Disappointing in the Florida Derby.
LAUS DEO Where is he?
MAXIMUS RULER I don't think that he can get the distance.
NEXTDOORNEIGHBOR I don't think that he can get the distance.
OUTLAW MAN Out of opportunities.
PADDY O'PRADO Gets his shot in the Blue Grass.
PEPPI KNOWS Just about out of opportunities.
RADIOHEAD Disappointing in the Florida Derby.
SASSY IMAGE Where is she?
SOARING EMPIRE Disappointing in the Florida Derby.
TEMPTED TO TAPIT Ran third in the Sunland Derby, I don't think that he is quite ready.
THE PROGRAM Just about out of opportunities.
TIZ CHROME Where will he run next?
WORKING FOR HOPS Nice win in the Grindstone.

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment