Saturday, May 07, 2011

A KENTUCKY DERBY INTERVIEW WITH DAN J

As you may recall, last year I wrote a post just before the Kentucky Derby in which I interviewed long-time blog reader Dan J concerning the Kentucky Derby. I decided that it would be fun to do the same thing this year, and thus, here are his thoughts:

Q. What do you think of this year's crop of three-year-olds in general?
A. I think they're a strong---but difficult to compare---group.

Q. Do you feel that having Calvin Borel on Twice the Appeal will seriously help that horse's chances?
A. No, not really. It could. But I don't think so. I just don't think this horse will win. I think Twice the Appeal will finish somewhere mid-pack.

Q. Do you think that we will have a Triple Crown winner this year?
A. Yes! This is the year! We have to stay positive!

Q. Are there any longshots that you think could hit the board?
A. Absolutely. It seems like a longshot of some kind always manages to get up for the money (Denis of Cork, Closing Argument, Paddy O'Prado). I'll go out on a limb and guess Santiva and Watch Me Go.

Q. What do you think of Archarcharch drawing the rail?
A. Well, the #1 spot is never desirable (think Lookin' at Lucky), but Archarcharch definitely has some talent. With a lucky trip, he just might be able to get out in time and prove me wrong.

Q. Do you think that Nehro can win from gate nineteen?
A. Yes--I think the far outside is a more favorable position than the far inside.

Q. Take a guess -- will the final time be over or under 2:02 2/5?
A. Oh, definitely over.

Q. Is than any favorite that you think could be vulnerable?
A. Yes--Dialed In. I can just see him closing and closing and not getting past a front or mid-pack runner who beats him to the wire. In fact, the situation could look exactly like Ice Box's 2nd-place run last year.

Q. Finally, who is your pick to win the Kentucky Derby?
A. Despite what I said above, I'm definitely taking DIALED IN! That said, I would very much love to see Calvin Borel win a fourth Kentucky Derby on Twice the Appeal. If he gets the lead in mid-stretch, I'll be cheering the loudest of anyone.

Thanks, Dan J!

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment