Monday, September 17, 2012

Cotillion Stakes Entries: Questing and My Miss Aurelia battle for division leadership

The $1,000,000 Cotillion Stakes (gr. I) may have drawn only four entrants, but the 1 1/16th miles race looks to be among the best races of the year thanks to the presence of both Questing and My Miss Aurelia. The first-mentioned filly, from the barn of Kiaran McLaughlin and Godophin Racing, won both the Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I) and Alabama Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga this summer, stamping herself as the leader of the division. My Miss Aurelia has run just once this year, taking the Mandys Gold Stakes at Saratoga in decent fashion, but was the Eclipse champion 2yo filly last year thanks to dominating victories in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), Frizette Stakes (gr. I), and Adirondack Stakes (gr. II).

A matchup between the two, both of whom possess a great deal of tactical speed, figures to be a thrilling event whether the finish is close or not. A victory by Questing would virtually assure her the division championship, while a victory by My Miss Aurelia would put her in the mix for back-to-back championships.

Only two other fillies have dared enter the Cotillion -- Dixie Strike, who won the Prince of Wales Stakes at Woodbine against colts, and Dixie Strike, runner-up in a pair of listed stakes this summer.

PPHorseWeightJockeyTrainer
1Moment in Dixie114Jose LezcanoJames Toner
2Questing124Irad Ortiz, Jr.Kiaran McLaughlin
3My Miss Aurelia117Corey NakataniSteve Asmussen
4Dixie Strike122Ramon DominguezMark Casse

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment