Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Miss Aurelia tops Question in thrilling Cotillion Stakes

Heading into the $1,000,000 Cotillion Stakes (gr. I) at Parx Racing, most of the talk was of the budding superstar filly Questing, who had won a pair of prestigious grade I races at Saratoga in dominating fashion.

But you can never underestimate a champion, and My Miss Aurelia proved that emphatically this afternoon when she wore down Questing following a prolonged stretch battle to win the Cotillion by a nose over her supposedly superior rival, proving beyond a doubt that the Eclipse champion 2yo filly of 2011 is intent on claiming another championship this year.

With jockey Corey Nakatani aboard, My Miss Aurelia got off to an excellent start at the beginning of the 8.5-furlong race, but soon settled back into the second position as Questing set slow fractions of :25, :50, and 1:14 3/5 on the front end. Moment in Dixie was two lengths behind My Miss Aurelia in third, while Dixie Strike trailed the small field by a similar margin.

Rounding the final turn, My Miss Aurelia moved up on the outside to challenge for the lead, drawing to within a neck of Questing as the latter drifted out badly turning for home, taking My Miss Aurelia with her. Questing continued to drift out throughout the stretch, repeatedly bumping with her challenger, My Miss Aurelia proved gritty in the final eighth of a mile, sticking her head in front and holding it there to the finish.

The final time was 1:44. 2/5. Dixie Strike finished third, while Moment in Dixie trailed the field home.

A daughter of Smart Strike out of the Sea of Secrets mare My Miss Storm Cat, My Miss Aurelia is trained by Steve Asmussen and owned by Stonestreet Stables and George Bolton. She remains undefeated with six victories from six starts and earnings of $2,026,000.

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment