Saturday, April 16, 2011

BLUE GRASS STAKES THOUGHTS & SELECTIONS

As promised, here are my thoughts on the Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I).

*************

This race is wide open. Any one of the twelve horses running could win.

I always laugh when I think of the Blue Grass Stakes, simply because of what I wrote about it last year:

"You have to give credit to this group, they are going to provide us with a spectacular race tomorrow. The field of nine is very evenly matched, and I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone here win. (Okay, I would be surprised if Stately Victor won, but you get the idea.)"

As we all know, Stately Victor powered away in the stretch to win by four lengths. :)

This year, the Blue Grass is even more wide open. I wouldn't count any horse out of winning.

I don't really like Santiva to win. I feel that this race will be won in a shocking upset.

One horse I like is Willcox Inn. The colt ran third in the grade I Breeders' Futurity (gr. I) last year over this track, and closed well in a paceless Grindstone Stakes last time out. This will be his second start off of a lengthy layoff, and I believe that he is ready for a much improved performance.

Joes Blazing Aaron is another intriguing contender. He won the Palm Beach Stakes (gr. III) last time out in wire-to-wire fashion, and if he gets a clear lead here he may prove impossible to catch.

King Congie, the disqualified winner of the Hallandale Beach Stakes, and Brilliant Speed, third in that same race, could also offer some value. But King Congie has been known to drift considerably in the stretch, hence his disqualification in the Hallandale. He will need to stay straight if he is to win today.

Queen'splatekitten and Crimson China both have strong late runs, but will need clean trips in order to win.

My picks:

1 Willcox Inn
2 Crimson China
3 Joes Blazing Aaron
4 Santiva

J.R.'s picks:

1 King Congie
2 Queen'splatekitten
3 Crimson China
4 Praetereo

Enjoy the race!

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment