Monday, January 16, 2012

KEELERMAN'S ECLIPSE AWARD SELECTIONS

With the widely-anticipated Eclipse awards being announced later tonight, I thought I'd post some quick thoughts on who I would vote for in each division. Enjoy!

Horse of the Year: Acclamation

Acclamation and Havre de Grace each won three grade I stakes races, but I give Acclamation credit for winning the mile and a quarter Pacific Classic (gr. I) over Polytrack, as well as a pair of grade I grass stakes. Add that to the fact that he won a pair of grade IIs as well, and I feel that trumps Havre de Grace's Woodward, Apple Blossom, Beldame (all gr. I), Obeah, and Azeri Stakes (both gr. III) triumphs. But I could vote for either one and feel good about it.

Older Male: Acclamation
If I'm going to vote for him as Horse of the Year, I have to vote for him as Champion Older Male. I really think he did more than fellow contenders Tizway, Flat Out, and Game On Dude.

Older Female: Havre de Grace

Clearly she deserves this award. Her record in 2011 was admirable and she did run well in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) in addition to her victory against males in the Woodward.

Three-Year-Old Male: Caleb's Posse

In a year where none of the Triple Crown race winners managed to win another subsequent start, I think Caleb's Posse deserves the award. He won two grade I races, including the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) against older horses -- and Preakness winner Shackleford.

Three-Year-Old Female: Royal Delta

She was arguably the leader of the division going into the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (gr. I), and her trouncing of It's Tricky and Plum Pretty sewed up this award for her.

Two-Year-Old Male: Union Rags

I could easily go with Hansen, but I'm going to give Union Rags credit for his body of work, which included dominating victories in the Champagne Stakes (gr. I) and the Saratoga Special (gr. II).

Two-Year-Old Female: My Miss Aurelia

She won all four of her starts, including the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), and soundly beat all of the other contenders for the award. If she doesn't get all the votes, I will be surprised.

Turf Male: Cape Blanco

He won three grade I races on turf to Acclamation's two, beat two-time reigning Eclipse turf male Gio Ponti twice, and won the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic (gr. I) despite suffering a slab fracture in his knee during the running.

Turf Female: Stacelita

Two grade I wins in historic races and a third against males in the United Nations Stakes (gr. I) stamps her as a worthy winner, despite running poorly in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. I). None of the other award contenders were able to put together a campaign that was quite as good.

Male Sprinter: Amazombie

He was very consistent all year and capped off the season with victories in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) and Ancient Title Stakes (gr. I). The Factor also deserves respect for the award, but Amazombie beat him soundly in the Ancient Title.

Female Sprinter: Sassy Image

Musical Romance won the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (gr. I), but Sassy Image beat her in the Princess Rooney (gr. I) and also won the Humana Distaff (gr. I) and the Winning Colors Stakes (gr. III). Hilda's Passion also deserves consideration for this award, but I feel Sassy Image's did more and was more consistent.

Trainer: Graham Motion

He won the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and a number of other grade I races while having the best season of his career, money-wise. Others won more money, and others won more races, but I think Graham Motion did the best all around. Bob Baffert and Todd Pletcher also had great years and would be worthy winners.

Jockey: Joel Rosario

From the beginning of the year to the end of the year, Joel Rosario just kept on winning races -- and in southern California no less, which has perhaps the highest quality jockey colony of any area in the country. All told, he won 274 races and over $15.6 million dollars -- not quite as high as the totals of Javier Castellano and Ramon Dominguez, but they weren't riding in California.

Owner: Ken and Sarah Ramsey

2011 was a great year for the Ramseys, who won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (gr. II) and Darley Alcibiadies Stakes (gr. I) with Stephanie's Kitten, in addition to 112 other races. Midwest Thoroughbreds won way more races -- but they also had well over 900 more starters.

Apprentice Jockey: Ryan Curatolo

He won more than $4 million dollars and 115 races while competing against the likes of Ramon Dominguez on the New York curcuit. I think he's a deserving winner of this award.

Steeplechase Horse: Tax Ruling

He was very inconsistent, but when he was at his best he was great. You could debate that Black Jack Blues deserves it too, but Tax Ruling won two grade I races in 2011, something no other steeplechaser did.

-Keelerman

No comments:

Post a Comment